Leandra Medine, Madame Man Repeller herself, stopped by Holt Renfrew‘s Toronto flagship last week for a meet-and-greet with fans. The popular fashion blogger sat down for a Q&A session with FASHION Magazine‘s Randi Bergman, and then graciously signed copies of her first book Man Repeller: Seeking Love. Finding Overalls. for budding man repellers.
Missed her personal appearance and haven’t yet picked up your copy? Here’s Leandra’s pitch for you to do so:
“…look, I’m not going to tell you that you have to read it but I am going to say that you should. Why? Because (1) if you already hate me, it will fuel those emotions, thus making you a more passionate individual than you were previously. (2) There are stories about all kinds of weird things like seer sucker bermuda shorts and the ankle length white socks I forgot to take off the first time I engaged in sexual intercourse.”
Sounds like a must-read. Before you click on over to Amazon.ca for a copy, check out the gallery below for party snaps from Leandra’s visit at Holt Renfrew.
FASHION Magazine’s Randi Bergman and Man Repeller Leandra Medine
FASHION Magazine’s Paige Dzenis and Nancy Won
Continue reading →
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: those Greta Constantine kids sure know how to throw a party. The design duo of Stephen Wong and Kirk Pickersgill held their 4th annual summer poolside soirée at the Toronto home of Michael Cooper and Krystal Koo last week, and it was as fabulous a night as ever before.
Dubbed “Bath, House, Steam” and inspired by Helmut Newton’s poolside works, one of the most anticipated summer shindigs on the city’s social calendar served up a sneak peek of the Greta Constantine Spring 2014 collection, an endless stream of Stoli cocktails, and delightful shenanigans like models in glamourous gowns gracefully swimming laps in the pool. No big deal.
Anita Clarke tweeted the day after the event, while presumably still basking in its afterglow, “Always thought models in gowns in a pool was 1 of those things you see in movies. Thx @gretconstantine for making it happen”. Ditto!
Greta Constantine’s Stephen Wong and muse/hostess Krystal Koo
Bloggers Caillianne and Samantha Beckerman
FASHION Magazine’s Caitlin Agnew and Paige Dzenis
Continue reading →
Anita Clarke and Kirk Pickersgill
We may have unofficially kicked off our Luminato 2013 with an impromptu photo booth session with Daria Werbowy last week, but the festival wasn’t officially underway until the Luminato and YSL opening party at Brookfield Place the next night.
At the very well-attended soirée, we photo-boothed some more (sans Daria this time), snagged some bubbly and complimentary hand engraved Touche Eclat pens (yes!) courtesy of YSL, and, of course, people watched. With bold face names like performance artist Marina Abramovic and actor Willem Dafoe in attendance and looks like Melissa Manly in a gorgeous Carven cut-out frock and Rufus Wainwright in a delightfully outrageous cloud-print suit gracing the red carpet, there was certainly plenty to see.
Check out the gallery below for 18 of our favourite style spotting moments from the Luminato and YSL opening night party.
Randi Bergman and Blaire Borins
Barry Avrich and Melissa Manly
Shakura S’Aida and Jay Strut
Gracie Carroll and Odessa Paloma Parker
Continue reading →
Rag & Bone designers Marcus Wainwright (left) and David Neville (Image Credit: George Pimentel)
With a slew of international designers scheduled to drop by Toronto this month, Holt Renfrew threw down the gauntlet last week with a shindig in honour of Rag & Bone designers Marcus Wainwright and David Neville. The third floor of the retailer’s Bloor Street flagship, home to its contemporary collections, was transformed into a party space complete with a graffiti wall.
With the design duo’s latest offerings on hand (including an incredible green leather jacket worn by Kate Moss in their Spring 2013 campaign), cotton candy and pretzel stands at the ready, and DJ Fathom spinning all the right tunes for a crowded makeshift dance floor, I had more fun that evening than at my last visit to Holt’s end-of-season sale. And that’s saying a lot, coming from a shopaholic.
It was a great night for street style spotting too – the storm raining down outside didn’t appear to deter anyone from showing up in their best Rag & Bone(-esque) duds. There were summery white frocks (take that, hail storm!), denim rolled and ripped in all the right places, and plenty of that black-and-white trend we keep hearing about. Check out the gallery below for our favourite looks from the Holt Renfrew x Rag & Bone shindig.
(Image Credit: George Pimentel)
Continue reading →
Yours truly with presenters Glen Baxter and Hans Koechling and host Rob Lowe
On November 19, the 2012 edition of the P&G Beauty & Grooming Awards were held at The Carlu in Toronto. Hosted by the extremely handsome actor and Brat Pack member Rob Lowe, the Awards brought together the biggest names in the Canadian beauty, grooming and fashion industries to honour the year’s best print and online content in 19 categories.
Stacey McKenzie and Jully Black
Assisting Lowe (who was kissed on by all the ladies who graced the stage and was a good sport about it) in presenting the Tiffany & Co. crystal trophies were familiar faces like the iconic Jeanne Beker, Greta Constantine-clad singer Jully Black, supermodel Stacey McKenzie and boxer Mary Spencer.
And the winners are…
1. Best Art Direction: Tanya Watt, FLARE
2. Best New Face: Jenna Earle, Next Models
3. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (English): Adriana Ermter; FLARE, Back by Popular Demand
4. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (French): Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, BB La crème a tout faire
5. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (English): Michelle Villett; FLARE, Best Beauty Innovations of 2011
6. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (French): Micheline Lortie; Châtelaine, La nature en pot
7. Best Beauty Editor of a Magazine: Lesa Hannah; FASHION Magazine
8. Best Male Grooming Feature: Greg Hudson; Sharp Magazine, The Sharp Guide to Grooming: Stepping it Up
9. Hair Stylist of the Year: Justin German
10. Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (English): Sarah Nicole Prickett; FASHION Magazine, Bro Code
11. Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French): Elsa Vecchi; Dress to Kill, Spécial Design: Rad Hourani
12. Best Fashion Editor of a Magazine: George Antonopoulos, FASHION Magazine
13. Best Male Fashion Feature: Yang Goh; Sharp Magazine, Style Manual
14. Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English): Sharon Ng Hayes; The Backseat Stylers
15. Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (French): Anik Lacasse-Richard; Montreal in Style
16. Best Beauty or Fashion Website: Randi Bergman, FashionMagazine.com
17. Photographer of the Year: Malina Corpadean
18. Make-up Artist of the Year: Nicolas Blanchet
19. Best Magazine Cover: Dress to Kill, Stéphane Le Duc, Winter 2011
With Kimberly Lyn in Arthur Mendonça (left) and Nelia Belkova in Lanvin x H&M (right)
You may have noticed a familiar name in there for winner of the Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English) category: The Backseat Stylers. WOOHOO! What an incredible honour it was for us to be named finalists alongside our blogger friends Nelia Belkova of Style Blog and Lolitta Dandoy of Fashion Is Everywhere, but to win?
Continue reading →
Me with designer Rachel Roy
Last Thursday, September 27, Rachel Roy flew into town for a public appearance at The Bay‘s Toronto flagship to launch the fall collection for her diffusion line, RACHEL Rachel Roy. As a fan of the New York-based designer, it was an event I wasn’t about to miss, so I donned the newly-arrived Aimee dress, grabbed T, and set off for The Bay to meet Rachel.
“I feel like a hobo next to you,” I told her (rather inarticulately) when we met, and I meant it; Rachel is absolutely stunning in person. I would have felt intimidated if not for the fact that she’s also incredibly charming and warm. Our whole conversation was a blur of Rachel generously complimenting my personal style and suggesting that I share more of it on the blog, and me, well, just being rather starstruck.
I wasn’t the only one who came away from the event with a girl crush; every single person in attendance was gushing over how gorgeous and sweet Rachel Roy is. She also happens to be fantastic at what she does: design. Always a reliable source for on-trend and reasonably-priced apparel, shoes and accessories, the latest offerings from RACHEL Rachel Roy include several pieces I’d like to add to my fall rotation.
To meet the designer herself, I chose the bouclé sheath Aimee dress (as did Nelia Belkova!), but there were plenty of equally enticing options. The eggplant boat-neck Sybil dress, black sequin Lara jumpsuit (that Aliya-Jasmine Sovani sported that night) and beige fur-trimmed Lara dress were also in the running. I’ll certainly be making a return visit to The Bay for all of those…and then some!
MTV’s Aliya-Jasmine Sovani in RACHEL Rachel Roy
Bloggers Nelia Belkova, Kimberly Lyn, me and T
Rachel Roy with models in RACHEL Rachel Roy Fall 2012 collection
FASHION Magazine Online Editor / DJ Randi Bergman
Continue reading →
Randi Bergman and Paige Dzenis of FASHION Magazine
On November 1, the 2011 edition of the Canadian P&G Beauty & Grooming Awards were held in Toronto, hosted by actress Kim Cattrall. Celebrating our country’s best editorial content and brightest creative talents in beauty, grooming and fashion, the Awards brought together the faces behind the credits of our favourite Canadian print and online publications. From the prolific Jeanne Beker to singer Jully Black, Editors-in-Chief Lisa Tant (Flare) and Bernadette Morra (FASHION) to top Canadian designers Sunny Fong (VAWK), Stephen Wong and Kirk Pickersgill (Greta Constantine), the industry’s biggest names descended on the Carlu to recognize the year’s best work in 19 categories.
Congratulations to all the winners!
- Best Magazine Cover – Clin d’oeil, Marianne Thornton (Editor-in-Chief), July 2011
- Best Beauty Editor(s) of a Magazine – Kristen Vinakmens and Wing Sze Tang; Flare
- Best Scientific Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Kate Rae; Glow, Vampire Weekend
- Best Scientific Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Micheline Lortie and Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, Les années beauté
- Best Creative Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Tania Kwong; Glow, Dark Angel
- Best Creative Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, Sillages gourmands
- Best Fashion Editor of a Magazine – Susie Sheffman; FASHION
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Elio Iannacci; Maclean’s, The New Transsexual Chic
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Stéphane Le Duc; Dress to Kill, Jean Paul Gaultier, Génie de la mode
- Best Fashion or Beauty Blog – Michelle Mullins; LipstickRules.com
- Best Fashion or Beauty Blog (French) – Anik Lacasse-Richard; Montrealinstyle.com
- Best Male Grooming Feature – Leo Petaccia; Sharp, How a Man Should Groom
- Best Male Grooming Feature (French) – Sylvie Michelon; Clin d’oeil, Mad mâle
- Best Male Fashion Feature – Greg Hudson; Sharp, Heroes of Menswear
- Best Fashion or Beauty Website – Randi Bergman, FashionMagazine.com
- Best New Face – Sarah Jordan, Specs Models
- Photographer of the Year – Chris Nicholls
- Hair Stylist of the Year – Anna Barseghian
- Make-up Artist of the Year – Sabrina Rinaldi
A special shout out to Anya Georgijevic
, a finalist in the Best Fashion or Beauty Blog category for I’m The It Girl
, and her to-die-for Nicholas Kirkwood laser-cut booties
. Because while everyone else in attendance had their eye on the prize (a P&G Beauty & Grooming Award trophy, that is), I was ogling the swanky shoes on their feet. And on that note, check out the gallery below for photos of some of the evening’s chicest looks.
Actress and host Kim Cattrall
Carly Stojsic of WGSN and Lisa Tant of FLARE Magazine
Nicholas Mellamphy of The Room at the Bay and Anya Georgijevic of I’m The It Girl
Designers Evan Biddell and Sunny Fong
Patricia Gajo, Bernadette Morra and Susie Sheffman of FASHION Magazine