Candice Chan (middle) and Alison Slight (right)
On September 4, Toronto’s most sartorially-gifted gathered at the Four Seasons Hotel to celebrate the launch of Toronto Life‘s latest Stylebook and the select few featured in its pages. The city’s fashion set, including the likes of Joe and Kimberley Mimran, FASHION Magazine Editor-in-Chief Bernadette Morra, model Stacey McKenzie, and Dion and Elisha Phaneuf, spent the opening night of the Toronto International Film Festival schmoozing with honourees past, present and future.
This year’s Most Stylish included the likes of Chloe Rogers (Elite model), Suzanne Cohon (principal, ASC Toronto), Elaine Lui (co-host, The Social), Lisa Corbo (co-owner, George C), Markus Anderson (consultant, Soho House Group), Ray Civello (founder of Civello Salon and Spa, and president of Aveda Canada), Lance Chung (fashion journalist), Sacha Grierson, (co-owner, Eat My Words) and her daughter, Lola Flanery, Vanessa Morcom (CEO, Morcom Media) and more.
Check out the gallery below for over 30 style snaps of Toronto’s best dressed folks at the #TLMostStylish event.
Elisha Cuthbert and Dion Phaneuf
Kimberley Newport-Mimran and Joe Mimran
Dean and Dan Caten
Continue reading →
Yours truly with presenters Glen Baxter and Hans Koechling and host Rob Lowe
On November 19, the 2012 edition of the P&G Beauty & Grooming Awards were held at The Carlu in Toronto. Hosted by the extremely handsome actor and Brat Pack member Rob Lowe, the Awards brought together the biggest names in the Canadian beauty, grooming and fashion industries to honour the year’s best print and online content in 19 categories.
Stacey McKenzie and Jully Black
Assisting Lowe (who was kissed on by all the ladies who graced the stage and was a good sport about it) in presenting the Tiffany & Co. crystal trophies were familiar faces like the iconic Jeanne Beker, Greta Constantine-clad singer Jully Black, supermodel Stacey McKenzie and boxer Mary Spencer.
And the winners are…
1. Best Art Direction: Tanya Watt, FLARE
2. Best New Face: Jenna Earle, Next Models
3. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (English): Adriana Ermter; FLARE, Back by Popular Demand
4. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Trend/Profile (French): Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, BB La crème a tout faire
5. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (English): Michelle Villett; FLARE, Best Beauty Innovations of 2011
6. Best Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Scientific/Technical (French): Micheline Lortie; Châtelaine, La nature en pot
7. Best Beauty Editor of a Magazine: Lesa Hannah; FASHION Magazine
8. Best Male Grooming Feature: Greg Hudson; Sharp Magazine, The Sharp Guide to Grooming: Stepping it Up
9. Hair Stylist of the Year: Justin German
10. Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (English): Sarah Nicole Prickett; FASHION Magazine, Bro Code
11. Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French): Elsa Vecchi; Dress to Kill, Spécial Design: Rad Hourani
12. Best Fashion Editor of a Magazine: George Antonopoulos, FASHION Magazine
13. Best Male Fashion Feature: Yang Goh; Sharp Magazine, Style Manual
14. Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English): Sharon Ng Hayes; The Backseat Stylers
15. Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (French): Anik Lacasse-Richard; Montreal in Style
16. Best Beauty or Fashion Website: Randi Bergman, FashionMagazine.com
17. Photographer of the Year: Malina Corpadean
18. Make-up Artist of the Year: Nicolas Blanchet
19. Best Magazine Cover: Dress to Kill, Stéphane Le Duc, Winter 2011
With Kimberly Lyn in Arthur Mendonça (left) and Nelia Belkova in Lanvin x H&M (right)
You may have noticed a familiar name in there for winner of the Best Beauty or Fashion Blog (English) category: The Backseat Stylers. WOOHOO! What an incredible honour it was for us to be named finalists alongside our blogger friends Nelia Belkova of Style Blog and Lolitta Dandoy of Fashion Is Everywhere, but to win?
Continue reading →
M∙A∙C Viva Glam Fashion Cares 25 has announced the line-up of musical talent and fashion designers that will be taking part in the star-studded fundraiser scheduled for September 9, 2012 in Toronto. Raising funds in support of HIV/AIDS awareness and the AIDS Committee of Toronto since 1987, this 25th and final edition of Fashion Cares will feature performances by Sir Elton John and his guests, including Scissor Sisters, Janelle Monáe and Sky Ferreira.
Supermodel Linda Evangelista and designers Dean & Dan Caten of DSQUARED2 will serve as hosts of an evening that will feature a cocktail reception, a Fashion Cares-inspired fashion show, and musical acts that will also include Canadian favourites like Jully Black, Kreesha Turner and more. In addition, attendees will enjoy a 25-year Fashion Cares retrospective exhibit showcasing glamourous looks from past Fashion Cares events, as well as items from Elton John’s costume archives.
Designers contributing original pieces to the fashion show include: Comrags, David Dixon, DSquared2, Elie Saab, Farley Chatto, Gareth Pugh, Greta Constantine, Hoax Couture, Izzy Camilleri, Joeffer Caoc, Manish Arora, Marty Rotman, Mercy, Pat McDonagh, Pink Tartan, Sandra Rabasca, Stephane Rollande, Susan Dicks, The Blondes, Valencienne and Welly.
Musical performers joining Elton John on the Fashion Cares 25 stage will include: Aleesia, Anjulie, Jully Black, Diamond Rings, Divine Brown, Keshia Chanté, Jarvis Church, Shawn Desman, Sky Ferreira, Elise Legrow, Midway State, Mia Martina, Stephan Moccio, Janelle Monáe, Billy Newton Davis, Carole Pope, RyanDan, Serena Ryder, Scissors Sisters, Kreesha Turner and Nikki Yanofsky.
Fashion Cares 25 promises to be nothing short of spectacular, and all in the name of a very worthy cause. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit fashioncares.com.
Images via FUSE Marketing, SALON, Nialler9
Honorary chair Suzanne Rogers and sponsor Sylvia Mantella
On May 3, Toronto Fashion Incubator celebrated its 25th anniversary with a fundraising gala at the Royal Ontario Museum, aptly dubbed TFI25, that was attended by a who’s who of Toronto’s social set and fashion industry and fit for Barbie herself. Chaired by Suzanne Rogers and emceed by a Greta Constantine-clad Jully Black, the evening featured a VIP dinner, a Barbie-inspired celebrity runway show, the annual TFI New Labels design competition fashion show and, of course, an after-party.
Singer and TFI25 Master of Ceremonies Jully Black
After a 6 month long competition, finalists Patrick Larrivée, Sid Neigum, Jameson Kane by Genevieve Pearson and Stanley Capobianco, and [blak] – i by Diego Fuchs and Helder Aguiar showed four very well received collections that made the TFI New Labels judges’ decision that much more difficult to make. “Judges are in big trouble from @SusanAtTFI”, FLARE Magazine‘s Editor-in-Chief Lisa Tant tweeted, ”because we can’t decide and won’t come out.”
FLARE Magazine’s Editor-in-Chief and TFI New Labels judge Lisa Tant
Tant was joined on the judging panel by TNT Boutiques’ Arie Assaraf, Toronto Star‘s Derick Chetty, TFI President David Dixon, TFI Executive Director Susan Langdon and the gala’s honorary chair Suzanne Rogers, who donated the $25,000 grand prize. In the end, Edmonton native Sid Neigum was named this year’s TFI New Labels winner, taking home a prize package valued at $60,000, which included a feature in FLARE Magazine and a design studio at the TFI sponsored by Arie Assaraf.
TFI New Labels winner Sid Neigum and model
Those weren’t the only prizes up for grabs at TFI25. The Barbie-inspired fashion show featured celebrity models like Dina Pugliese, Tanya Kim and Trish Stratus in designs by VAWK, Arthur Mendonça, Anastasia Lomonova and more. While past TFI New Labels winner Sarah Nicol of Sar Couture was awarded the $10,000 cash prize, it was actress Tara Spencer-Nairn in VAWK who stole the show with her robotic runway walk, tweeted FASHION Magazine‘s Editor-in-Chief Bernadette Morra.
Dina Pugliese in Barbie-inspired dress by Stema
Continue reading →
Jully Black in Lauren Bagliore
Last night, the Heart & Stroke Foundation’s The Heart Truth Fashion Show took the LRD to a whole new level. Always a hit, the event featured a runway presentation of 17 Canadian female celebrities in as many red dresses – the official symbol of The Heart Truth campaign – by top Canadian designers.
Etalk’s Jessi Cruickshank opened the show in a gorgeous gown by Adrian Wu (who’s only 21 years old!), while a smoking Shannon Tweed-Simmons closed it in an Arthur Mendonça number and on the arm of husband Gene Simmons, no less (yes, that Gene Simmons!). In between, actress Ali Liebert played the bombshell role quite perfectly in a short, embellished Momo frock and singer Jully Black stole the whole damn show, dancing on the runway in a stunning Lauren Bagliore gown.
Other celebrity models included Tamara Taylor in Mark Belford, Isabelle Maréchal wearing Anne de Shalla, Catriona Le May Doan in LOVAS, Natasha Gargiulo sporting MICALLA, Divine Brown in Freda’s, Pascale Hutton wearing Paul Hardy, Susan Haskell in David Dixon, Lauren Lee Smith rocking Ines Di Santo, Liza Fromer in Mallia, Jessica Steen wearing Joeffer Caoc, Angie Seth in Thien Le, Gabrielle Rose donning Something Blue Vancouver and Lisa Ray in Farley Chatto.
And it was all for a great cause, raising awareness about the importance of heart health in women. Read more about The Heart Truth campaign and watch the complete fashion show here.
Jessi Cruickshank in Adrian Wu
Ali Liebert in Momo
Gene Simmons in Indochino and Shannon Tweed-Simmons in Arthur Mendonça
Designer Adrian Wu with celebrity model Jessi Cruickshank
Randi Bergman and Paige Dzenis of FASHION Magazine
On November 1, the 2011 edition of the Canadian P&G Beauty & Grooming Awards were held in Toronto, hosted by actress Kim Cattrall. Celebrating our country’s best editorial content and brightest creative talents in beauty, grooming and fashion, the Awards brought together the faces behind the credits of our favourite Canadian print and online publications. From the prolific Jeanne Beker to singer Jully Black, Editors-in-Chief Lisa Tant (Flare) and Bernadette Morra (FASHION) to top Canadian designers Sunny Fong (VAWK), Stephen Wong and Kirk Pickersgill (Greta Constantine), the industry’s biggest names descended on the Carlu to recognize the year’s best work in 19 categories.
Congratulations to all the winners!
- Best Magazine Cover – Clin d’oeil, Marianne Thornton (Editor-in-Chief), July 2011
- Best Beauty Editor(s) of a Magazine – Kristen Vinakmens and Wing Sze Tang; Flare
- Best Scientific Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Kate Rae; Glow, Vampire Weekend
- Best Scientific Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Micheline Lortie and Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, Les années beauté
- Best Creative Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Tania Kwong; Glow, Dark Angel
- Best Creative Beauty Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Sophie St-Laurent; Châtelaine, Sillages gourmands
- Best Fashion Editor of a Magazine – Susie Sheffman; FASHION
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper – Elio Iannacci; Maclean’s, The New Transsexual Chic
- Best Fashion Feature of a Magazine or Newspaper (French) – Stéphane Le Duc; Dress to Kill, Jean Paul Gaultier, Génie de la mode
- Best Fashion or Beauty Blog – Michelle Mullins; LipstickRules.com
- Best Fashion or Beauty Blog (French) – Anik Lacasse-Richard; Montrealinstyle.com
- Best Male Grooming Feature – Leo Petaccia; Sharp, How a Man Should Groom
- Best Male Grooming Feature (French) – Sylvie Michelon; Clin d’oeil, Mad mâle
- Best Male Fashion Feature – Greg Hudson; Sharp, Heroes of Menswear
- Best Fashion or Beauty Website – Randi Bergman, FashionMagazine.com
- Best New Face – Sarah Jordan, Specs Models
- Photographer of the Year – Chris Nicholls
- Hair Stylist of the Year – Anna Barseghian
- Make-up Artist of the Year – Sabrina Rinaldi
A special shout out to Anya Georgijevic
, a finalist in the Best Fashion or Beauty Blog category for I’m The It Girl
, and her to-die-for Nicholas Kirkwood laser-cut booties
. Because while everyone else in attendance had their eye on the prize (a P&G Beauty & Grooming Award trophy, that is), I was ogling the swanky shoes on their feet. And on that note, check out the gallery below for photos of some of the evening’s chicest looks.
Actress and host Kim Cattrall
Carly Stojsic of WGSN and Lisa Tant of FLARE Magazine
Nicholas Mellamphy of The Room at the Bay and Anya Georgijevic of I’m The It Girl
Designers Evan Biddell and Sunny Fong
Patricia Gajo, Bernadette Morra and Susie Sheffman of FASHION Magazine
Supermodel and Honourary Fashion Show Chair Yasmin Warsame and me
On November 6, 2010, Bayview Village and North York General Hospital jointly held their 10th annual Heart of Fashion fundraising event in support of the BMO Financial Group Breast Diagnostic Centre. Promised a fabulous evening of food, fashion and entertainment, Mr. Backseat Styler and I head out in our Saturday best to partake in all of the above – all in the name of charity, of course. One Jully Black live performance, one supermodel encounter and just a few too many chocolate desserts and pink cocktails later, we left the party vowing to come back next year and every year thereafter – this is one can’t-miss event!
Continue reading →