We Backseat Stylers are equal opportunity shoppers, but there are a handful of labels that have a strong presence in our joint closet and one of them is definitely Pink Tartan. The Canadian brand, helmed by designer Kimberley Newport-Mimran, is our go-to for chic, well-made pieces for both day and night. From gold tulle skirts to chocolate leather shorts, the brand’s offerings are always filled with pieces we just can’t live without.
Pink Tartan’s holiday 2012 collection was no less covetable than usual. From the moment we laid our eyes on the gold brocade designs in particular, we knew we had to have them. The smoking jacket and contrast collar shirt are both classic pieces with a modern feel that will see years of play in our wardrobe rotations. We’ll be pairing them with denim for nights out with the girls or with flirty skirts for cocktail parties all year round. Gold brocade is so versatile in our books that we’d almost call it a neutral. The proof, as they say, is in the
pudding style shots.
Brocade smoking jacket ($495)
This blazer is a showstopper. It’s an eye-catching piece that can be dressed up over a glamourous gown for a black tie affair or dressed down when paired with skinny jeans.
T’s look was decidedly menswear inspired. She styled the brocade jacket with an Eight Sixty embellished collar blouse, Topshop leather trim pants and Bass loafers. S had an edgier take, pairing the blazer with her favourite Club Monaco faux leather shorts, a newly-acquired collared shirt by Joe Fresh, and her beloved Charlotte Olympia x Olympia Le-Tan book clutch.
Brocade contrast collar blouse ($295)
Looking for a subtler way to incorporate gold brocade into your wardrobe? This contrast collar shirt is the answer to your sartorial prayers.
S wore hers with her gold tulle skirt (another Pink Tartan gem), Alexander McQueen open-toe booties and a teal Y-Mail clutch by YSL for a girly ensemble perfect for date night. T, on the other hand, went for a more casual look, layering her brocade blouse with a mint green sweater by J.Crew and accessorizing with a Toodlebunny cameo necklace, Balenciaga bag and FLARE x ALDO oxblood shooties.
See what we mean? Practically a neutral. And we’re betting you have brocade on the brain now too. Get Pink Tartan’s smoking jacket and collared shirt online at The Bay and at a Pink Tartan stockist near you.
xx, T & S
Image credits: Product shots by The Bay, all others by The Backseat Stylers
Sponsored by Pink Tartan
Shameful confession: Boxing Day is my favourite day of the year. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that I feel about Boxing Day the way other people feel about their birthdays. Seriously. Pulling together the Designer Sale Guide each year is, truthfully, research for my own shopping pleasure that you all happen to get to benefit from…or blame me for.
Either way, here’s this year’s edition, filled to the brim with must-shop destinations where you can spend your hard-earned money on fabulous new duds at jaw-droppingly marked down prices. We’ll be updating daily, so check back for the latest Boxing Week sales, final cuts, exclusive online codes and more!
Farfetch - Save up to 40% off. Our source for Carven, McQ by Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney.
Luisa Via Roma - Save up to 50% off. Our source for Giuseppe Zanotti, Roksanda Ilincic, Jean-Pierre Braganza.
Matches Fashion - Save up to 80% off. Our source for Giles, Isabel Marant, Jonathan Saunders.
My-Wardrobe - Save up to 50% off. Our source for Moschino Cheap & Chic, McQ by Alexander McQueen, Paul & Joe Sister.
Net-a-porter (International site) – Save up to 50% off. Our source for Prabal Gurung, Matthew Williamson, Victoria Beckham.
REVOLVE Clothing - Up to 50% off over 2,300 styles. Our source for Clover Canyon, Equipment, Enza Costa.
Shopbop - Save up to 70% off. Our source for Alexander Wang, Dannijo, Rag & Bone.
The Corner - Save up to 50% off. Our source for Barbara Bui, Mary Katrantzou, Maison Martin Margiela.
ACROSS NORTH AMERICA (Online & In Stores)
Barneys New York - Save up to 75% off off regular prices in stores and online. Our source for 3.1 Phillip Lim, Lanvin, Manolo Blahnik.
Bergdorf Goodman - Save as much as 60% off. Our source for Gucci, Lanvin, Alexander McQueen.
Bloomingdales - Save up to 50% off. Our source for Marc by Marc Jacobs, DVF, Theory.
CUSP – Save up to 60% off. Our source for Milly, Nanette Lepore, Elizabeth and James.
INTERMIX - Save up to 75% off when you take an extra 40% off on sale merchandise. Our source for Helmut Lang, Rag & Bone, Sergio Rossi.
La Garçonne - Save up to 50% off. Our source for A.P.C., Jeremy Laing, Isabel Marant.
Neiman Marcus - Save up to 60% off. Our source for Erdem, Jason Wu, Valentino.
Net-a-porter (U.S. site) – Save up to 70% off. Our source for Prabal Gurung, Matthew Williamson, Victoria Beckham. **UPDATED**
Nordstrom - Save up to 60% off. Our source for Burberry, Donna Karan, 3.1 Phillip Lim.
Saks Fifth Avenue - Save up to 60% off online and in stores. Our source for Burberry, Pink Tartan, Brian Atwood.
SSENSE - Save up to 70% off on fall/winter merchandise. Our source for Alexander McQueen, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Smythe. **UPDATED**
The Bay - At The Room, save 60% off on selected fall/winter merchandise. Our source for Jason Wu, Charlotte Olympia, Erdem.
eLUXE – Save up to 70% off on fall/winter merchandise. Our source for Smythe, Pink Tartan, Rebecca Minkoff.
Holt Renfrew - Save up to 50% off on selected fall/winter merchandise. Our source for Burberry, Gucci, Alexander McQueen.
TNT The New Trend - Save up to 70% off all sale merchandise. Our source for Smythe, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Sandro.
After epic giveaways all December long, we’ve finally reached the grand finale as we count down the days until Santa’s arrival. For our third and final contest, we’ve teamed up with none other than Canada’s oldest retailer, The Bay! From shoes to silverware, The Bay is a go-to destination for everything fashionable for our closets, kitchen and every other room in our house, for that matter.
We’re incredibly excited then to wrap up our big holiday giveaway series with a $500 shopping spree at everyone’s favourite department store, The Bay! Being two of The Bay’s most devoted customers, it would take us about 30 seconds to spend $500. Here are some of the items we’re currently coveting over on thebay.com (clockwise from top left):
1. Tahari mesh sequin dress ($210) – A combination of paillettes and mesh, this Tahari frock isn’t your average LBD. It’s a standout piece for the holiday season, as well as cocktail parties year round.
2. Michael Kors black silicone-wrapped bracelet watch ($300) – Michael Kors’ watch business is booming for good reason; his timepieces have become must-haves among the fashion-conscious. Our pick is this versatile, oversized design in black silicone-wrapped stainless steel.
3. Maison Martin Margiela ostrich feather pen ($40) – For the signing of only the most important of documents, this luxe ostrich feather pen is perfect for Margiela devotees and fashion fans in general.
4. Topshop drape longline blazer ($120) – We’d choose a white tuxedo jacket over a party dress any day of the week, and this version from everyone’s favorite high street retailer is a stylish, pocketbook-friendly option.
5. YSL Beauty La Laque nail trio holiday set ($65) – We love all of those exclusive makeup sets that pop up during the holidays, and this nail lacquer trio from YSL featuring three of the brand’s most popular reds is a favourite this season.
6. Pink Tartan merino wool birdseye crew ($191.99, reg. $275) – We’re huge fans of most everything Kimberly Newport-Mimran designs, and this chic sweater is no exception. It’s perfect for layering over a collared shirt or on its own.
7. Swarovski ‘Alicia’ pierced earrings ($150) – We wouldn’t turn down anything by Swarovski, but these gorgeous crystal drop earrings especially would make lovely additions to any jewelry box.
8. Belle Noel bars and fan necklace ($250) – As far as statement necklaces go, this offering from Kim Kardashian’s line is fairly simple in design but high impact. It’ll take any old LBD to the next level.
9. HBC Collection antique cotton sweatshirt ($77, reg. $110) – We have a soft spot for anything with the classic HBC stripes, and this cozy cotton sweatshirt in particular. We have big plans to sip hot cocoa by the fireplace in it all winter.
With The Bay’s huge selection of apparel, shoes, accessories, housewares, cosmetics and more, we have a feeling it wouldn’t take you long to burn through that $500 either. Tell us what you’d buy on that shopping spree for a chance to win. Good luck everyone!
Congrats to the winner of a The Bay $500 shopping spree…Lindsay S! Please email us to claim your prize. Thanks to everyone who entered!
xx, T & S
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment telling us how you would spend the $500 shopping spree, including links to the specific items on thebay.com. Also, ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and The Bay’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow @backseatstylers and @TheHudsonsBayCo on Twitter and tweet the following: “HOHOHO! @backseatstylers are giving away a @TheHudsonsBayCo $500 shopping spree, and I want it! http://bit.ly/T26udP #giveaway #BSSholiday”
3. The contest closes at midnight on December 23, 2012. The winner will be selected randomly and will be notified by e-mail.
4. Contest open to readers in Canada only.
5. There are no prize substitutions and no cash value. Travel not included.
I’ve been a Club Monaco addict for as long as I can remember. I lived in my logo sweatshirt through high school (remember those?), wore the brand’s office-ready duds almost exclusively during the first years of my career, and now have a rather extensive collection of CM pieces that I don for both work and play. In short, I’m a huge, huge fan.
So much so, in fact, that I knew Club Monaco just had to be a part of our big holiday giveaway series, and I’m excited that they thought so too! Disappointed you didn’t win our eLUXE contest last week? No need to fret, because this week we’ve got a $500 Club Monaco shopping spree up for grabs!
Epic, right? We know you want it, so pick that jaw up off your keyboard, click on over to clubmonaco.com, and draft up that holiday wish list for a chance to win. Here’s our rather lengthy one, should you need inspiration – though we’re certain you don’t need help spending $500 at your local Club Monaco boutique! Clockwise from top left:
1. Reva Coat ($398) – When it comes to winter outerwear, there’s nothing more chic than a gorgeous white wool top coat. Throw on it a glam, removable faux fur collar that makes for two coats in one, and I’m sold.
2. Ethel Cluster Necklace ($89.50) – I have a healthy collection of statement necklaces already, but I knew I had to have this coloured jewel creation the moment I spotted it. It’s a sophisticated piece that can be worn year round.
3. Joelle Skirt ($149.50) – On the hunt for the perfect party skirt? Not to worry – we’ve found it for you! This navy and gold metallic jacquard mini was made for dancing the night away on New Year’s Eve.
4. Pricilla Tuxedo Blazer ($259.00) – I have a serious weakness for tuxedo jackets, and this patterned velvet design is too chic for words. It’s my favourite piece from the holiday collection and it needs to be mine, stat.
5. Micah Shirt ($149.50) – I generally fall head over heels with just about anything with lace trim, and this lovely, ladylike blouse is no exception. In fact, it would go perfectly under the Priscilla tuxedo blazer I’m coveting.
6. Marsha Boucle Jacket ($179.50) – The perfect boucle jacket is a closet essential that will serve you well for years to come. This black and white, updated take on a classic will work seamlessly in any wardrobe rotation.
7. Sybil Dress ($229.00) – The leather trend continues, and I couldn’t be more delighted. The leather trim on this wool frock gives it an edge that’s perfect both for the office and after work drinks.
We can’t wait to see your wish lists! Head on over to your local Club Monaco store or clubmonaco.com for a healthy window-shopping session that – be warned – may just lead to a new outfit or two before you even get your contest entry in. That’s just how covet-worthy this holiday collection is. Good luck everyone!
Congrats to the winner of a Club Monaco $500 shopping spree…Karen F! Please email us to claim your prize. Thanks to everyone who entered!
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment telling us how you would spend the $500 shopping spree, including links to the specific items on clubmonaco.ca or clubmonaco.com (third party, sale and leather items excluded). Also, ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and Club Monaco’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow @backseatstylers and @clubmonaco on Twitter and tweet the following: “HO HO HO! The @backseatstylers are giving away a @ClubMonaco $500 shopping spree, and I want it! http://bit.ly/SZUBVt #giveaway #BSSholiday”
3. The contest closes at midnight on December 16, 2012. The winner will be selected randomly and will be notified by e-mail.
4. Contest open to readers in Canada and the U.S. only.
5. The $500 (before taxes) shopping spree will be awarded at the winner’s preferred Club Monaco store. Travel not included. There are no prize substitutions and no cash value. Third party, sale and leather items excluded.
6. Complete sweepstakes rules here.
By now it should be blatantly obvious to you that I’m a serious Charlotte Olympia addict, and I must confess that it’s an obsession that shows no signs of waning. In fact, a festive email heralding the upcoming release of an exclusive holiday collection from the UK-based accessories designer popped into my inbox yesterday and made me squeal.
Glitter kitty flats, ‘Jingle Bell Dolly’ pumps with detachable bells, the classic CO ‘Pandora’ clutch with a gilded ribbon clasp – I want it all! You hear me Santa and/or the Mister? All of it. But if I must settle on just one, finding the mistletoe-adorned ‘Kiss Me Dolly’ platform pumps under the tree would surely make my Christmas. (Not so subtle) hint, hint.
The holiday collection will be available exclusively at the Charlotte Olympia boutiques in New York and London, as well as on charlotteolympia.com and net-a-porter.com, beginning December 4. In Canada, The Room at The Bay will be stocking the two cheerful ‘Dolly’ styles. You’ll want to take note of that, Santa.
Images courtesy of Charlotte Olympia
As I ran around a largely deserted mall on December 24th last year, I vowed to myself – for at least the fifth year in a row – that I would never leave the task of gift buying to the very last minute ever again. Next year, I promised myself, I’ll be one of those extremely prepared folks who get to brag about having finished their holiday shopping weeks – months even – in advance.
Well, it seems the moment of truth has come, and while I have exactly zero presents purchased to date, I do have a stellar gift guide prepared with a whopping 18 incredible items for only the most fashionable females on your list. Now, all you and I have to do is print out this blog post, get to the nearest computer or mall, and get shopping like the proactive, stylish elves we are. Good luck!
1. Nicholas Kirkwood Floral-Embroidered Sandals ($1,695), Holt Renfrew
Kirkwood’s metallic floral-embroidered mesh sandals are nothing short of perfection. Sealed with a bow, this exquisite shoe is perfect for soirées this holiday season and year round.
2. Banana Republic ‘Breanna’ Bow Flat ($120), bananarepublic.ca
We all need a break from heels now and then. Banana Republic’s bow-embellished, pointy-toe flats are so chic that even the most devoted of stiletto fans won’t be able to resist them.
3. Christian Louboutin ‘Decollette’ 554 Pumps (US$625), neimanmarcus.com
A surefire way to a shoe addict’s heart? Christian Louboutin, obviously. Whether it’ll be her very first pair or her 50th, these black patent leather stiletto pumps with those signature contrast red soles will become footwear rotation regulars.
4. Jason Wu Lace-Trimmed Cape ($3,305), The Room at The Bay
As far as outerwear is concerned, it doesn’t get much more luxurious than Look 21 from Jason Wu’s Fall 2012 ready-to-wear runway show. With its lace overlay and of-the-moment oxblood shade, it’s the perfect cape for the superwoman in your life.
5. LINE Knitwear ‘Uptown’ Knit & Leather Jacket ($550), Holt Renfrew
Wrap the edgy LINE Knitwear ‘Uptown’ in a box and put some fierceness under the Christmas tree. This black leather jacket with knitted panels will keep its new owner toasty warm and looking über-chic.
6. 3.1 Phillip Lim ‘Pashli’ Satchel (US$895), saksfifthavenue.com
Every woman needs a chic everyday carry-all, and Phillip Lim has created a fabulous option in his ‘Pashli’ satchel. Marrying fashion and function, the street style favourite is available in a range of sumptuous colours to complement any wardrobe
7. Tiffany & Co. Coin Purse ($85), tiffany.ca
The mere sight of that unmistakable shade of Tiffany blue will put a smile on any girl’s face. Slip a Tiffany & Co. bauble into this lovely patent leather coin purse for an extra special gift.
8. ela Editor Pouch ($188), thecode.ca
Whether she’s a fashion editor or merely one in her daydreams for now, she can look the part with ela’s edgy Editor Pouch. The studded clutch is available in several colours, but silver mirror is our favourite by far.
9. MAKE UP FOR EVER Backstage Collector Bag ($359), sephora.com
Featuring 28 of MAKE UP FOR EVER’s most popular products, this Sephora.com exclusive is both the perfect face paint introduction for a neophyte and a makeup lover’s dream come true.
10. Karl Lagerfeld for Shu Uemura Eye & Cheek Palette ($85), Holt Renfrew
Lagerfeld fans will love his latest collaboration with Shu Uemura, which includes lipsticks, fun faux eyelashes, a mini brush set and more. Our pick is the eye & cheek palette in smoky velvet or prestigious bordeaux, featuring the Kaiser’s whimsical muse for the collection, Mon Shu Girl, on the compact.
11. Nixon ‘Kensington’ Leather Watch ($150), nixon.com
Timepieces are always great holiday gift ideas — what better way to count down the clock on New Year’s Eve? — and this classic leather watch by Nixon is no exception. The no frills design makes it a handsome, versatile option that will go with any outfit.
12. FALLON for eBay Stud Charm Bracelet (USD$88), ebay.com
FALLON designer Dana Lorenz churns out to-die-for statement jewelry like nobody’s business. Her holiday capsule collection for eBay is the perfect opportunity to add some edge to any arm party.
13. Lauren Elan ‘Abagail’ Choker Necklace ($195), laurenelan.com
Toronto accessories designer Lauren Elan mixes Swarovski pearls, chains, crystals and rhinestones to create a stunning statement necklace that serves up a whole lot of bling for your buck.
14. Tibi Penguin-Intarsia Sweater (US$375), net-a-porter.com
Who says a holiday knit has to be tacky? Tibi’s exclusive penguin sweater for Net-a-porter is anything but. Whether she wears it casually or edges it up, this is one adorable piece the lucky recipient will be wearing non-stop this winter.
15. MOON Apparel Lace Dress ($89), moonapparel.ca
The MOON Apparel crochet lace dress is a go-to for me, and this season the Canadian brand has recreated the popular piece in eye-catching turquoise. It’s a very ladylike and versatile design that is sure to become a closet favourite.
16. Smythe Herringbone Equestrian Jacket ($595), eluxe.ca
No one designs jackets quite like Smythe’s Andrea Lenczner and Christie Smythe (just ask Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge!). Their classic equestrian blazer is a wardrobe essential that will be worn for years to come.
17. “The Little Black Jacket: Chanel’s Classic Revisited” by Karl Lagerfeld & Carine Roitfeld ($102.50), chapters.indigo.ca
This beautiful coffee table book is a fantastic present for any fashion lover. Pair it with a classic black tweed jacket by the design house and that Chanel devotee on your list will be over the moon.
18. Neiman Marcus x Target x CFDA Holiday Collection Ornaments by Jason Wu (US$49.99 for 3), neimanmarcus.com
For the gal pal with the most stylish of Christmas trees, these limited edition ball ornaments and their lace-print trim are both festive and fashionable. Available starting December 1.
Excited for Anna Karenina’s debut on the silver screen this November? Here’s a little something to tide you over until then: Banana Republic has designed an Anna Karenina-inspired holiday collection, styled and curated by the film’s costume designer Jacqueline Durran.
The incredibly chic 56-piece collection for women features lace, velvet, and faux fur in black, black and more black. Anna Karenina fan or not, the dresses, costume jewelry and cold weather accessories are perfect for the upcoming holiday season. Pricing starts at $28 for a pair of lace floral tights and caps at $345 for a double-breasted wool top coat.
The capsule collection will be available in Banana Republic stores and online starting October 31. Give the gallery below a gander – which pieces are you coveting?
Continue reading →
Neiman Marcus, Target and the CFDA announced a rather unexpected but definitely very intriguing holiday collaboration this past July, and now the 50-plus piece collection of men’s, women’s, home and children’s gift items has been revealed.
The offerings were designed by 24 CFDA designers, including: Alice + Olivia, Altuzarra, Band of Outsiders, Brian Atwood, Carolina Herrera, Derek Lam, Diane von Furstenberg, Eddie Borgo, Jason Wu, Judith Leiber, Lela Rose, Marchesa, Marc Jacobs, Oscar de la Renta, Philip Crangi, Prabal Gurung, Proenza Schouler, Rag & Bone, Robert Rodriguez, Rodarte, Skaist-Taylor, Thom Browne, Tory Burch and Tracy Reese.
The collection includes everything from Rodarte wrapping paper for $7.99 to Alice + Olivia bicycle for $499.99. I’m thinking a quick shopping jaunt south of the border might be required so I can get my hands on a Prabal Gurung bow cape ($79.99) for me, an Eddie Borgo letter opener ($34.99) for the Mister, and a Jason Wu polka dot dress ($59.99) for the daughter I’ve yet to have.
Mark your calendars – the collection will be available in both Neiman Marcus and Target stores and e-commerce sites (neimanmarcus.com ships to Canada!) starting December 1, and is sure to sell out in a flash. Check out the gallery below for the complete collection. What’s on your wish list?
Continue reading →
The holiday previews continue! Next stop? Why, Ann Taylor, of course. By now I’ve attended their Fall 2012 preview and popped by their boutique at The Somerset Collection, so I’m starting to get a bit anxious for their fall arrival in Toronto. How much longer until me and my fellow Torontonians can finally get our hands on their stylish workwear, cute party dresses and to-die-for costume jewelry? Not soon enough, by my measure.
The holiday preview was chock full of pieces I can’t wait to add to the rotation during the holiday season and beyond. The pearl-embellished knitwear (perfect for the office), the glitter smoking slippers (in all available colours, obviously), and so very many of the statement necklaces are all on my Ann Taylor holiday wish list. Perhaps even a zebra-print satchel. What’s on yours?
Continue reading →