By now you know that we here at The Backseat Stylers are (a) shoe addicts and (b) avid online shoppers, so when we heard word of a brand spanking new designer shoe online shopping destination based right here in Canada, our curiosity was piqued. And when we clicked on over to TheSeptember.com, that curiosity instantly turned into delight. The brand directory is well-curated and very impressive, featuring the likes of Valentino, Michael Kors, and Marc by Marc Jacobs, and the styles are right on the money too. Rock Studs, anyone? Yes please!
The September is the brainchild of long-time friends and shoe lovers Aynsley Wintrip Harris and Christine Carlton, who saw an opportunity in the online shopping landscape in Canada and, armed with years of luxury brand experience, decided to fill the designer shoe e-shop gap. “We are a proudly Canadian company, focused on the specific needs of Canadian online shoppers who love designer shoes,” they say, and that means no duties, free shipping and free returns. That’s music to our ears!
We bet you’re now dying to get your shop on (we know we are!), and we’d like to help you out with that: we’ve got a TheSeptember.com $500 gift card up for grabs as the next instalment of The Big Holiday Giveaway! Would you spend your winnings on an uber-cool pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs wedge booties, a pair of ultra-glam gold Aquazurra lace-up sandals, or fierce Paul Andrew winged suede booties? Tell us for a chance to get your hands on that $500 gift card – contest rules are below. Good luck!
P.S. Don’t forget to enter all the other contests in The Big Holiday Giveaway and check back for more daily reveals!
1. Leave us a comment on this blog post telling us how you would spend the $500 gift card,including links to the specific items on TheSeptember.com. Also, ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and TheSeptember.com’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow @backseatstylers and @TheSept on Twitter and tweet the following: “HO HO HO! The @backseatstylers are giving away a @TheSept $500 gift card, and I want it! http://bit.ly/1bVMLTU #BSSholiday #giveaway” Leave us a comment on this blog post telling us you’ve shown this contest some twitter love.
3. The contest closes at 11:59pm PST on December 3, 2013. The winner will be selected randomly and will be notified by e-mail.
4. Contest open to readers in Canada only.
5. There are no prize substitutions and no cash value.
It’s been some time since we’ve added some new hardware to the statement jewelry rotation, and with holiday cocktail parties on the calendar, we’re on the hunt for a new piece that will take our party outfits to the next level.
Oscar de la Renta‘s gold-plated leaf collar necklace certainly fits the bill. It’s bold, elegant, and has a Grecian goddess vibe we’re totally digging. In short, we need it. Now.
The necklace is available at Net-a-porter for $690. You hear that, Santa?
We’re declaring the holiday season officially kicked off this week, because (a) our second annual The Big Holiday Giveaway is already in full swing, and (b) the One of a Kind Christmas Show & Sale is back in town! We at The Backseat Stylers are ready to dive head first into everything cheerful and festive, and we want to take you with us with a big #OOAKX13 giveaway: we’ve got a $250 shopping spree + 10 pairs of tickets up for grabs!
The Show is back in town from November 28 to December 8 at the Direct Energy Centre, and will feature handcrafted designs by 800-plus artisans. It’s chock full of fun stocking stuffer and unique gift ideas for everyone on your shopping list, including Canadian-made fashion, art and housewares. It’s always one of our favourite holiday shopping destinations, and that may or may not have everything to do with that can’t-miss food aisle brimming with chocolate, shortbread and fudge. #nomnomnom
Want in on the #OOAKX13 action? Then be sure to enter our giveaway for a chance to win the grand prize of a $250 shopping spree + a pair of tickets, or 1 of 9 pairs of tickets for the Show. Contest rules are below. Good luck, and see you there!
Oh, and P.S. Don’t forget to enter all the other contests in The Big Holiday Giveaway and check back for more daily reveals!
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. Leave us a comment on this blog post telling us what’s on your #OOAKX13 wish list (check out the vendor listing for some inspiration!) and ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and One of a Kind Show’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry, follow @backseatstylers and @ooak_toronto on Twitter and tweet the following: “The @backseatstylers are giving away a $250 @ooak_toronto shopping spree + 20 tix – I want in! http://bit.ly/17Qhh3m #OOAKX13 #BSSholiday” Then leave us a comment on this blog post letting us know that you’ve tweeted us some love.
3. Contest closes at 11:59pm EST on December 2, 2013. Winners will be contacted via email.
4. This giveaway is open to our readers located in the GTA only.
5. There are no prize substitutions. Travel not included.
Pink Tartan Creative Director Kimberley Newport-Mimran has teamed up with Keurig to create a limited edition collectable cup, just in time for the holiday season. In our excitement, we already instagrammed our pretty new mug yesterday, but it really deserves a blog post all its own.
The cup features a stylish sketch of the designer herself walking her dog. “Life is about finding beauty and inspiration every day, a walk with Max, morning coffee, a deep breath,” said Newport-Mimran. “The opportunity to work with the Keurig brand to create a fashion-inspired cup to savour your morning, that gives back to the community in a meaningful way really resonates with me as a designer.”
100% of the profits from the sale of the cup will be donated to the Toronto East General Hospital Foundation. Snag one (or two or three!) of these chic stocking stuffers with a cause over at keurig.ca for $19.99.
Image courtesy of Keurig
The holiday season is officially here: the mistletoe has been strategically placed, our addiction to candy cane hot chocolate is back with a vengeance, and Mariah Carey’s ‘Merry Christmas’ album is already on 24/7 repeat chez The Backseat Stylers. With exactly 30 days until Santa and his elves pay you a visit (or not, if you’re on that naughty list), we’re bringing back our second annual The Big Holiday Giveaway, 2 weeks of epic giveaways with a new one revealed every day. The best part? We don’t even care if you’ve been naughty this year – you’re still eligible to win by virtue of you being a lovely reader of this here blog (thank you!).
We’re kicking off the festivities with a contest for a $500 shopping spree at none other than…*dramatic drum roll, please*…H&M! The fast fashion retailer’s stores are currently filled to the brim with cheap and cheerful party-ready pieces and, in fact, $500 is just the right amount to refresh that holiday wardrobe. We’re not going to tell you how to spend your winnings, but here’s how we’d ensure we looked chic at every holiday shindig this year (clockwise from top left):
1. Beaded red dress ($39.95) – Every girl needs an LRD in their cocktail rotation, and this chic, easy-to-wear number is perfect for dancing the night away.
2. Metal clutch bag ($29.95) – A fabulous and versatile clutch is an essential for holiday dressing, and this metal shell chain bag is plenty of glam for your buck.
3. Faux fur coat ($129) – As far as statement coats go, it doesn’t get much better than this standout coloured and striped faux fur design.
4. Beaded necklace ($39.95) – A little drama goes a long way, and this bold and intricate piece will take any holiday ensemble to the next level.
5. Knitted jumper ($19.95) – Bright red embroidered lips make for a cheeky sweater that would pair perfectly with skinny jeans or an A-line skirt for a more casual but no less cute party look.
6. Embroidered kimono ($99) – This stunning chiffon kimono with shimmering gold floral embroidery is a holiday must-have that will undoubtedly become a year-round favourite.
7. Court shoes ($49.95) – Perfect for day-to-night, the basic black pump is taken to the next level with gorgeous metal detailing on the heel.
8. Studded bracelet ($9.95) – Nothing adds a touch of fierce quite like some stud action, and this incredibly well-priced bracelet certainly does the job.
Those 8 fabulous and festive items add up to $472 of swag, 13% taxes included (here in Ontario, anyway), leaving you some pocket change for a few pairs of cozy tube socks even.
Daydreaming about how you’d spend that $500 shopping spree at H&M? Enter now to make that shopping list a reality – contest rules are below. And don’t forget to check back daily for new giveaways, because you’ll want to enter them all. Trust us!
Good luck and happy holidays!
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. Leave a comment on this blog post telling us how you would spend the $500 shopping spree, including links to the specific items on hm.com/ca. Also, ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and H&M’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (complete step #1 first), follow @backseatstylers and @hmcanada on Twitter and tweet the following: “HO HO HO! The @backseatstylers are giving away a @hmcanada $500 shopping spree, and I want it! http://bit.ly/1bOMMsw #BSSholiday #giveaway”
3. The contest closes at 11:59pm PST on December 1, 2013. The winner will be selected randomly and will be notified by e-mail.
4. Contest open to readers in Canada only.
5. There are no prize substitutions and no cash value. Travel not included.
Sasha Exeter of So Sasha, Toronto
It’s The Canadian Street Style Lookbook, pink slip edition, wherein style bloggers across Canada joined in the movement to revive the girliest of colours this week. But, actually, there is no movement per say, but the hue was certainly getting a lot of love.
Liz donned the loveliest blush-toned, embellished party dress, Alexandra paired coloured skinny jeans with an ultra-cool quilted bomber, and Krystin chose a baby pink coat to top off a glam bow-on-bow look.
There’s currently no pink in The Backseat Stylers wardrobe, but perhaps it’s time to change that.
Jen Tam of Her Waise Choice, Vancouver
Liz Clark of Elizabeth Victoria Clark, Toronto
Alyssa Lau of The Ordinary Peoples, Edmonton
Continue reading →
Lena of Quality Rivets sported a swanky pair of blue velvet trousers last week, and our love for velvet was reignited. Actually, it never waned; we just needed an excuse to indulge our addiction to the luxe and festive fabric, and Lena gave us one.
Because one can never have too much velvet in one’s closet, we’ve rounded up 20 of our favourite pieces in stores right now, perfect for the holidays. And all year round, really.
Sylvia Mantella, Suzanne Rogers and Brittney Kuczynski
On November 19, Toronto’s social set descended on the Royal Ontario Museum for Le Grand Bal, a black tie gala to celebrate the launch of a new Canadian cultural yearbook, Canadian Fabric, and in support of a very worthy cause, Oolagen. In its inaugural year, the event was as fabulous as one would imagine with honorary chair Suzanne Rogers, chair Sylvia Mantella and editor-in-chief Brittney Kuczynski at the helm.
The evening fêted the very first issue of Canadian Fabric, an annual publication celebrating what makes us fashionably Canadian, and the 6 philanthropists profiled in it, including Peter Gilgan, founder of Mattamy Homes; Lynn Factor, Vice Chair and Lead Director of the Children’s Aid Foundation; Cheryl McEwen, co-Founder of McEwen Centre for Regenerative Medicine; Lisa Ray, actress and host of ’Top Chef Canada’; P.K. Subban, defenseman with the Montreal Canadians; and Sylvia Mantella, Director of Brand Development of Mantella Corporation. To underscore the focus on philanthropy, guests were introduced to Oolagan, a youth mental health centre in Toronto to which net proceeds from the event and sale of the magazine (available at Chapters/Indigo) will be donated.
Philanthropy was on the agenda, but fashion certainly didn’t take a back seat. We spied stunning designs by Canadian talent like Erdem, Greta Constantine and Lucian Matis on the fabulous partygoers. Check out the gallery below for style snaps of uber-chic guests in gorgeous gown after gorgeous gown.
Zoomer Magazine’s Suzanne Boyd
Singer Ivana Santilli
Continue reading →
So Isabel Marant for H&M has come and gone, and you’re in search of a new high-low collaboration to obsess about and we’ve got the answer: L’Wren Scott for Banana Republic. We cheered when we heard word of the holiday capsule earlier this year, and now we have the complete lookbook, with all 50+ pieces, for your viewing pleasure.
The American designer has created an incredibly chic line-up of party-ready apparel and accessories, and we can’t wait to shop it. Tailored jackets, embellished cardigans, cocktail dresses, clutches, and even pajama sets – L’Wren Scott and Banana Republic have our holiday dressing covered. At the very top of our wish list are the emerald jacquard shift dress (stunning!), the black brocade and magenta peony skinny jeans (obviously we need both pairs in our lives), and the black velvet bow back jacket (because we’ve never met a velvet jacket we didn’t like).
Retailing between $39.50 and $198, the L’Wren Scott for Banana Republic collection will be available in selected stores as well as online starting December 5. Give the gallery below a gander for a look at every single piece of the capsule. Which do you plan to rock this holiday season?
Continue reading →
We’ve been counting down the days until The Hunger Games: Catching Fire hits theatres on November 22, but with every new trailer or commercial we see, we’re starting to lose our patience. Thankfully, we’ve had the film’s premieres around the world and the cast’s red carpet appearances to keep us occupied until the big day.
Jennifer Lawrence has been rocking Dior after Dior during this premiere tour, and her choice for this past weekend’s showing in Paris was no different. JLaw donned a decidedly darker design from Dior’s Fall 2013 haute couture collection, complete with deep red lip, edgy new ‘do, and even some side boob action. Fierce.
But, seriously, is it November 22 yet?
Image via Fashion Gone Rogue