T and I were asked recently to participate in a campaign in support of Rethink Breast Cancer. It was a no-brainer, really, given the charity’s mission to “continuously pioneer cutting-edge breast cancer education, support and research that speak fearlessly to the unique needs of young (or youngish) women”. Use our powers for good? It would be our pleasure.
Along with the two of us humble fashion bloggers, Rethink Breast Cancer called on a group of writers, on-air talent and stylists to compete in BATTLE PINK this October. Each participant has been challenged to get creative with the limited edition PINK products, which range from OPI‘s ‘Pink Of Hearts’ nail lacquer duo ($20.95) to a Swarovski crystal ‘Pink Hope’ charm ($60) to the stainless steel ‘Contessa’ watch by Roots ($115). T and I were tasked with styling a pair of eyeglasses from Clearly Contacts‘ pink frame collection by Derek Cardigan ($98).
But so was Afiya Francisco of The Style House, and this is where the ‘battle’ part comes in. Until October 14, the public (aka you!) will be voting on their favourite BATTLE PINK creations, and yours truly have been pitted against the lovely Afiya. Head on over to the Rethink Breast Cancer site to check out her and our entries and VOTE, VOTE, VOTE! For which, we *almost* don’t care, because for every vote submitted, Penguin Books Canada has pledged to donate $1 to the Rethink Breast Cancer cause.
You vote, Penguin donates, and we, Afiya and the other BATTLE PINK contestants get to feel good about ourselves. It’s a win-win-win situation, right? So please spread the word!
Thanks in advance for your support of Rethink Breast Cancer’s BATTLE PINK initiative!
xx, T & S
On T: Smythe blazer / American Apparel shirt / Zara jeans / Bass shoes / Clearly Contacts glasses by Derek Cardigan
On S: OBJECT for Danier leather top / Mango belt / Joe Fresh jeans / Nicholas Kirkwood for Erdem shoes / Clearly Contacts glasses by Derek Cardigan
October has officially arrived, and with it the type of crisp fall weather that calls for a cozy and patriotic sweater from the LINE Knitwear x Roots collaboration. Two of our favourite Canadian brands teamed up on a collection of 4 city sweaters representing Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Banff for fall, and we’re giving one away to a lucky reader!
We’re showing some west coast love with this contest; up for grabs is a Vancouver sweater in a size small that retails for $128. Want it? Contest rules are below. Good luck everyone!
Congrats to the winner of the LINE Knitwear x Roots Canada Vancouver sweater…Kendra Thompson!
Thanks for all your entries, everyone, and stay tuned for our next giveaway!
xx, T & S
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post and ‘like’ The Backseat Stylers and LINE Knitwear’s Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow @backseatstylers and @LINEKnitwear on Twitter and tweet the following: “The @backseatstylers are giving away a @LINEKnitwear x @RootsCanada Vancouver sweater in sz S, and I want it! http://bit.ly/QSJ8Vp #giveaway”
3. The contest closes at midnight on October 9, 2012. The winner will be selected randomly and announced on October 10, 2012. The winner will be notified by e-mail.
4. This giveaway is open to our readers located in Canada only.
5. There are no prize substitutions.
We’ve been counting down the days until September 6, when the spectacular Fashion’s Night Out shopping extravaganza hits Toronto. With so many incredible events on the official FNO schedule, the task of planning which to hit up, and when, can be daunting. Between shopping parties in Bloor-Yorkville, Queen West and beyond, there are plenty of must-visit destinations throughout the evening, but only one place to be to start your night off right: Toronto Eaton Centre.
TEC is pulling out all the stops for the shopping centre’s very first time participating in Fashion’s Night Out. Not only will its doors remain open until 11pm for all your late night shopping needs at selected retailers, but it will also be kicking off its night of FNO festivities with a fashion show. Featuring the latest fall arrivals from Gap, Juicy Couture and Stuart Weitzman, the show starts at 7:30pm at Centre Court, and you won’t want to miss it.
We know we don’t! The Backseat Stylers will be right there in the mix, live-tweeting during the show and as we shop at some of our favourite TEC retailers. We’ll also be giving away official Fashion’s Night Out merchandise over Twitter. Intrigued? Then make sure your fashionable self is at Centre Court between 7-8pm with smartphone in hand, and be ready to tweet at @toeatoncentre and @backseatstylers using the #FNO_Toronto hashtag for a chance to win 1 of 24 prizes available.
Is all of this feeling a little like the holidays have come early this year? Because there’s more. We’ve teamed up with Toronto Eaton Centre to give one very lucky reader of The Backseat Stylers a fabulous shopping experience that will make this Fashion’s Night Out even more epic than it already promises to be! Here’s what’s up for grabs:
- One $400 Cadillac Fairview shop! card® gift card
- Lunch with The Backseat Stylers at Trattoria Mercatto
- Style consultation with The Backseat Stylers (we’ll happily help you spend that $400 gift card!)
Want in on this incredible prize pack? Contest rules are below. Good luck everyone!
In the meantime, don’t forget to stop by Toronto Eaton Centre for a swanky new FNO outfit. S paid TEC a visit this past weekend and picked up a printed Clover Canyon number from Mendocino that she’ll be sporting on the big night. What will you be wearing to the Fashion’s Night Out festivities at Toronto Eaton Centre? We can’t wait to see. It’s a date!
xx, T & S
- To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post telling us how you’d spend the $400 gift card and ‘like’ Toronto Eaton Centre and The Backseat Stylers’ Facebook pages here and here.
- For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow both @toeatoncentre and @backseatstylers on Twitter, and tweet the following: “The @backseatstylers and @toeatoncentre are giving away a $400 shopping spree for #FNO_Toronto! Enter here: http://bit.ly/OaSI9R #giveaway”
- The contest closes at midnight on September 11, 2012. The winner will be selected randomly and announced on September 12, 2012. The winner will be notified by e-mail.
- There are no prize substitutions. Prize does not include travel and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Sponsored by Toronto Eaton Centre
The kids are getting ready to go back to school, the leaves will soon be changing colours, and I’m already dreaming of leather jackets and riding boots – sure signs that fall is on its way! And rather than fight it this year, I’m going to embrace it because autumn is, hands down, my favourite sartorial season.
My love for fall dressing is in large part due to my outerwear addiction, which I’m more than happy to share with you. The search for the perfect fall coat obviously entails a trip to Sherway Gardens, the upscale fashion and lifestyle centre in Toronto’s west end. With over 200 stores on its directory, there are plenty of stylish outerwear options from which to choose (clockwise from top left):
1. The Trench – Burberry (Available at Holt Renfrew)
Every woman needs a trench coat in her closet, and none is more iconic than Burberry’s classic take. Whether you’re on the hunt for single- or double-breasted, epaulets or no epaulets, tan or black, Holt Renfrew stocks a selection of styles from the UK-based design house. Our pick for the season is a double-breasted version with leather accents that’s classic with an edge ($1,695).
2. The Motorcycle Jacket – Jacob
Whether it’s done in cotton, wool or leather, I’ve never been able to resist a great motorcycle jacket. Jacob’s white textured cotton offering, priced at a very affordable $99, is downright irresistible. Not a practical colour, you say? With a price tag like that, this fabulous little moto jacket is completely worth the risk. (Just carry a Tide pen with you!)
3. The Blazer – Club Monaco
There’s always room for one more blazer in my rotation, especially when it’s as sharp looking as this one from Club Monaco’s September collection. Colour blocking trend or not, the combination of the light brown plaid and contrast navy sleeves is simply perfect. Dress it up for the office or keep it casual for the weekend – you’ll get a lot of mileage out of this jacket (US$249).
4. The Varsity Jacket – Roots
Whether or not you’re currently in school is completely beside the point. Varsity jackets have never been cooler, and if you aren’t lucky enough to have a vintage piece you can fish out of your (or dad’s?) closet, then Roots is your very best bet. There’s a range of styles and colours available, but our hands-down favourite is the Sorority Jacket in grey ($358).
With such chic outerwear options, it’s rather impossible to pick just one, isn’t it? That’s where Sherway Gardens’ Fall Into Style Contest comes in. Until September 17, enter to win the grand prize of a $1,000 shopping spree at Sherway Gardens or 1 of 20 $100 Cadillac Fairview shop! card® gift cards over on Sherway Gardens’ Facebook page*. And don’t forget to share your winnings with the lovely blogger who told you all about the contest. Hint, hint.
Good luck and happy outerwear shopping!
* Open to Ontario residents only.
Image Credits: Burberry, Club Monaco, Jacob, Roots
Sponsored by Sherway Gardens
Spring has finally sprung! But is your closet ready? I’ve finally packed all my winter gear away (yes!!) and have been evaluating my warm weather wardrobe from last year. Some pieces are looking rather haggard and beyond saving, while others now seem like, well, questionable purchases in hindsight. The conclusion? I don’t need a whole new spring wardrobe (nor can I afford it!), but a few essential updates are in order, stat.
A seasonal closet refresh that won’t break the bank means only one thing: a trip to Sherway Gardens! The upscale fashion and lifestyle centre is one of the best shopping destinations in Toronto’s west end, thanks to its over 200 stores, including many of my favourite retailers. My spring wish list isn’t long, and I know exactly which budget-friendly boutiques at Sherway Gardens will have what I
1. Sweet Skirts - M for Mendocino
I’m ready to shed my black tights and show some leg – under some darling little skirts, that is, like the ones I’ve spotted at M for Mendocino at Sherway Gardens. Ever since I was introduced to Mendocino‘s trendy, more affordable sister, it’s been on my list of stores to visit for my fast fashion needs. My spring wardrobe wouldn’t be complete without the ladylike, blush-coloured skirt ($49) and whimsical turquoise polka dot skirt ($62).
2. Lightweight Knits – The Bay
With my thick winter knitwear packed away for the season, my sweater drawer is looking rather sad and empty. What it’s sorely lacking is a few lightweight knits like RACHEL Rachel Roy‘s Country Lace Pullover ($109) and Open Tie Back Pullover ($89), which have been on my wish list ever since I spotted them at the brand’s spring preview. Both styles are available at The Bay at Sherway Gardens, where generous sales may mean snagging these sweaters for up to 40% off.
3. Spring Jacket – Club Monaco
The arrival of spring calls for a new spring jacket! From light parkas to jean jackets, the possibilities are endless. The price tags on my two picks from Club Monaco, the Christy motorcycle jacket ($239) and Emma short trench ($279) aren’t cheap, but they are classic, investment pieces that can be worn for many seasons to come. Club Monaco’s Sherway Gardens location has many more styles where those came from, too.
4. Coloured Denim – Gap
Resistance is futile: coloured denim is where it’s at, so it’s time for me – and you! – to get on that bandwagon. Gap at Sherway Gardens offers jeans in different cuts and all the hues of the rainbow, starting at $69.95. I plan on taking the coloured denim leap in a pair of emerald green jeans this spring. I might even get my courage up for a pair of bright yellow skinnies by the time summer rolls around. What colour will you be rocking?
5. Wedge Sandals – ALDO
Surely there’s no better excuse for new shoes than a new season! This spring, I’m on the hunt for a new pair of wedges. ALDO Shoes at Sherway Gardens has plenty of open and closed toe styles to choose from and in a range of colours. A neutral-toned pair to wear with my new coloured jeans, like the Kanosh ($120) or Botwin ($90), is definitely a must. But which pair to choose? Perhaps there’s room in the budget for both after all.
So there’s my five-stop trip to Sherway Gardens all planned out, though I have a sneaking suspicion I’ll be making unscheduled visits to many of my other favourite retailers along the way. Holt Renfrew, Stuart Weitzman, Sephora…here I come!
Inspired to plan a shopping excursion too? Tell us what’s on your wish list for a chance to win a $100 Cadillac Fairview shop! card® gift card that will kick-start your very own spring shopping spree at Sherway Gardens! Contest rules are below – good luck! And be sure to check out Sherway Gardens’ brand new blog The Endless Closet and online store directory and follow the centre on Facebook and Twitter to help you plan your upcoming trip.
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post telling us what’s on your spring wish list and ‘like’ Sherway Gardens’ and The Backseat Stylers’ Facebook pages here and here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), follow both @sherway_gardens and @backseatstylers on Twitter, and tweet the following: “Step into spring with the @sherway_gardens x @backseatstylers $100 Cadillac Fairview gift card #giveaway! http://bit.ly/KbVTqZ #contest”
3. The contest closes at midnight on June 17, 2012. The winner will be selected randomly and announced on June 18, 2012. The winner will be notified by e-mail.
4. This giveaway is open to our readers located in the Greater Toronto Area only.
5. There are no prize substitutions. Prize does not include travel and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Thanks to everyone who entered the contest. Congratulations to Beth on winning a $100 Cadillac Fairview gift card for Sherway Gardens!
SPONSORED BY SHERWAY GARDENS
Image Credits: Sherway Gardens, M for Mendocino, RACHEL Rachel Roy, Club Monaco, Gap, ALDO Shoes
Back in March, it was announced that New York-based contemporary designer Tory Burch‘s first boutique in Canada would be launching at Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre in May. Since then, we’ve been waiting ever so patiently for more details, and finally they’ve come: the brand spanking new store will officially open its doors on May 4!
Have you been admiring Tory Burch’s popular Reva ballet flats or 797 leather satchels from afar? Here’s your chance to finally get your hands on them! With Burberry as its neighbour, the luxurious, 2,500-square foot boutique will stock a full range of Tory Burch’s chic and preppy clothing and accessories.
We can’t wait to see the new store. The brand has built some very luxe boutiques around the world (check out the gallery below), and we’re excited to see what the fabulous Tory Burch store format (orange lacquer doors, mirrored walls, Lucite fixtures) will look like with a Canadian twist.
The very best part of this big news? You may just get the chance to visit the new boutique sooner than you think. The Backseat Stylers have been invited to get a sneak peek of the new store before it opens to the public and enjoy 20% off full price purchases…and we want you to be our guest!
To win this exclusive opportunity to visit Tory Burch’s first Canadian boutique before anyone else, simply enter our contest by April 29 (see contest rules below). Good luck, ladies! In the meantime, peruse the Spring 2012 lookbook and start working on your wish lists, Toronto!
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post and ‘like’ both Tory Burch and The Backseat Stylers’ Facebook pages here and here.
2. For one (1) extra entry, follow both Tory Burch and The Backseat Stylers on Twitter, and tweet the following: “The first @ToryBurch store in Canada opens May 4, and I want to win a sneak peek with @backseatstylers! http://bit.ly/I2T92Q #ToryinToronto”
3. Entries must be received by April 29, 2012 11:59pm. The winner will be selected randomly from the submissions using random.org and will be announced on April 30, 2012. The winner will be notified by e-mail.
4. The date and time of the store visit (before May 4, 2012) is at the sole discretion of Tory Burch. If the winner is unable to attend at the appointed date and time, a new winner will be selected.
5. The prize is for one (1) guest only, and does not include transportation to/from the store or any Tory Burch products.
We’ve selected our winner using random.org. Congratulations to…Emma! We look forward to shopping the new Tory Burch boutique with you before it opens. Thanks to everyone who entered!
xx, T & S
Image Credits: Tory Burch
I confessed recently, in my Converse Spring 2012 preview post, that we here at The Backseat Stylers are huge Superman fans. In fact, we even have the matching Superman Chuck Taylors to prove it.
Want in on that action? Well have we got a contest for you! This week, we’re giving away one pair of Converse x DC Comics Chuck Taylor All Stars from the Spring 2012 collection to one lucky reader. You know you want these, so be sure to enter!
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post and ‘like’ both Converse and The Backseat Stylers’ Facebook pages here and here.
2. For one (1) extra entry, follow both Converse and The Backseat Stylers on Twitter, and tweet the following: “The @backseatstylers are giving away a pair of @Converse x @dccomics Chuck Taylor All Stars, and I want them! http://bit.ly/IaecAu #giveaway”
3. Entries must be received by April 15, 2012 11:59pm. The winner will be selected randomly from the submissions using random.org and will be announced on April 16, 2012. The winner will be notified by e-mail.
4. This giveaway is open to readers in Canada only.
5. The prize will be one (1) pair of one of the four styles shown, based on size availability. There are no prize substitutions.
This contest is now closed. Congratulations to…Erika! You’ve won a pair of Converse x DC Comics Chuck Taylor All Stars. Thanks to all who entered, and stay tuned for the next giveaway.
xx, T & S
Images courtesy of Converse
When it comes to accessories, belts are often very much underrated. They do so much more than keep your pants from falling to your ankles. They can also cinch waists, add colour or texture to an outfit, and bring new life to old jackets and dresses in your closet. A solid belt collection can make all the difference to a wardrobe, and we’d love nothing more than to add a brand spankin’ new one to your repertoire.
In fact, we’re teaming up with Canadian belt and leather accessories maker Brave Leather to give away not 1, not 2, not even 3, but 4 handmade (in Canada!) leather statement belts to 4 lucky readers of The Backseat Stylers over the next month. Each week, we’ll pick a winner from the cumulative entries to date, and he/she will have the opportunity to choose one belt from the remaining styles to take home. The Brave Leather belts up for grabs, pictured above clockwise from top, are: Kuzemko ($110), Selia ($145), Chim ($110), and Delphine ($120).
Dreaming up outfits with these chic, statement-making belts already? So are we! Enter the contest early for your best chances of winning. Good luck everyone!
Contest Rules [CLOSED]:
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post (including your full name and valid email address) and ’like’ both The Backseat Stylers‘ and Brave Beltworks‘ Facebook pages.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step 1 above first), follow The Backseat Stylers and Brave Leather on Twitter, and tweet the following: “The @backseatstylers are giving away 4 @BraveLeather belts valued at $485, and I want one! http://bit.ly/Alz6U0 #giveaway”
3. For another bonus entry (you must complete step 1 above first), set your Facebook status to “The Backseat Stylers are giving away 4 Brave Leather belts valued at $485, and I want one! http://bit.ly/Alz6U0″ Be sure to tag both The Backseat Stylers and Brave Beltworks so we can see it.
4. Maximum 3 entries per person.
5. One winner will be drawn on each of the following dates at midnight EST: Jan 26, Feb 2, 9 and 16, 2012. Winners will be selected randomly from the submissions as of each draw date using random.org. Winners will be notified by e-mail.
6. Sorry, this giveaway is open to our readers located in North America only.
7. There are no prize substitutions.
Our first winner Audrie picked the Kuzemko belt, our second winner Mariya picked the Selia belt and our third winner Yolanda picked the Chim belt. With only the Delphine belt remaining, we’ve selected our fourth and final winner via random.org. Congratulations to…Jenny Kim!
Thanks to all who entered the contest and to Brave Leather for the fabulous belts!
xx, T & S
Over the past week, we’ve been taking a little jaunt down memory lane in honour of Toronto Eaton Centre’s 35th anniversary on February 10. As you shared some of your fondest recollections of your visits to this three-floor retail wonderland, we discovered that we’re not the only ones who’ve been shopping at TEC all our lives and enjoying every moment of it.
From your very first steps through TEC’s big glass doors to your annual visits to see the Swarovski Christmas tree, Toronto Eaton Centre has been serving up awe-inspiring moments for 35 unforgettable years. Here are just a few of the stories you shared with us that made us smile:
- “The best day of my life actually happened at Eaton Centre, it was August 22nd 2010! I entered a contest on twitter to meet and greet my favourite artist Enrique at Sears located at Eatons! Luckily I won, and let me tell you it was the best DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!! I cried, I freaked out.. even almost fainted!!” – Tanja M.
- “I have too many fond memories of the Eaton Centre but one of my most meaningful memories was spending lengthy hours watching the fountain as a young boy with my great grandma, brings back memories whenever I pass it! A bit of home in a big place.” – Eric B.
- “When I was around 12 or 13, I made plans with a friend to meet at the Eaton Centre’s glass doors. Clearly, we didn’t realise how many sets of glass doors there were at the Eaton Centre, because we were waiting at completely opposite ends of the mall!” – Sarah
- “My favourite memory is when my uncle took me to Mr. Green Jeans for the very first time. We ate sooo much food and I was sooo full but my uncle still ordered me one of those amazing gigantic milkshakes (it was pretty big because I was so young) and I finished it! I was so full I actually threw up outside of the Eaton Centre. It has always been a very funny story to tell.” – Simon
- “I remember in 1996 taking the day off of work to head to the Eaton Centre to see MR. BEAN! Rowan Atkinson was making a personal appearance! The crowd was so big…” – Cheryl M.
Thank you all for sharing your favourite TEC memories! You can read all of the stories submitted here. With 50 million visitors a year, $120 million of renovations currently underway and many exciting new stores like PINK, Express and Juicy Couture opening in 2012, there’s sure to be many more memorable moments to come.
And on that note, let’s kick start some new Toronto Eaton Centre adventures by giving away those five $35 Cadillac Fairview shop! cards, shall we? We’ve randomly drawn 5 names from the pool of over 125 entries received, and the lucky winners are: Cristina A, Jennifer, Jess C, Anne Cayer and Susan!
Congratulations ladies! While you’re at Toronto Eaton Centre spending your shiny new gift cards, keep an eye out for us, won’t you? You’ll likely find us at Mr. Green Jeans, sipping on chocolate milkshakes and patiently waiting for J.Crew to finally open its doors later this year. See you there!
xx, T & S
Sponsored by Toronto Eaton Centre
As certified shopaholics, we’ve done the deed everywhere. Bricks-and-mortar malls, sample sales, pop-up shops, e-retailers – you name it, we’ve shopped it. And while we love all of our regular shopping haunts equally, there’s one that we love just a little more equally than the others: Toronto Eaton Centre.
For as long as we’ve been shopping, Toronto Eaton Centre has been the heartbeat of the Toronto fashion retail scene and a stylish icon in our city. Growing up, our family often took the subway downtown for Saturday trips to the Eaton’s department store. We now live in 3 different cities, but Boxing Day at TEC – and all the frenzied fun that comes with it – remains an annual family tradition.
In between Boxing Days, TEC and its 3 floors of trendy offerings have always been there for us in our greatest times of sartorial need. From the search for the perfect wedding shoes for S’s big day back in 2007 to the hunt for a chic blazer to complete T’s outfit for our FASHION Magazine feature last year, TEC has come through for us every time, making it one of our top shopping destinations.
Our beloved Toronto Eaton Centre celebrates its 35th anniversary this Friday, February 10, and we at The Backseat Stylers couldn’t be more excited about it! With $120 million of renovations currently underway and new stores like J. Crew (can’t wait!), PINK by Victoria’s Secret and Juicy Couture opening in 2012, TEC is only getting better with age.
In honour of this big 35th birthday, we’re teaming up with Toronto Eaton Centre to give away $35 Cadillac Fairview shop! gift cards to 5 lucky readers of The Backseat Stylers! Want one? All you have to do is tell us your favourite memory of Toronto Eaton Centre for a chance to win. We shared ours in this 35th anniversary video over on TEC’s Facebook page (go watch!). What’s yours?
Good luck everyone! And a very happy birthday to you, Toronto Eaton Centre!
xx, T & S
1. To enter, leave us a comment on this blog post telling us your favourite Toronto Eaton Centre memory and ‘like’ Toronto Eaton Centre’s 35th anniversary Facebook page here.
2. For a bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), tweet the following: “@toeatoncentre is turning 35, and @backseatstylers is giving away five $35 Shop! Cards to celebrate! http://bit.ly/A13ZKe #giveaway”
3. For another bonus entry (you must complete step #1 first), set your Facebook status to “Toronto Eaton Centre is turning 35, and The Backseat Stylers are giving away five $35 Shop! Cards to celebrate! http://bit.ly/A13ZKe″ Be sure to tag both The Backseat Stylers and Toronto Eaton Centre so we can see it.
4. Maximum 3 entries per person.
5. The contest closes at midnight on February 14, 2012. The five winners will be selected randomly and announced on February 15, 2012. Winners will be notified by e-mail.
6. This giveaway is open to our readers located in Canada only.
7. There are no prize substitutions.
Sponsored by Toronto Eaton Centre